Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday 25 November 2011

Quilted Recycled Felted Repurposed


I moved over from Melbourne 2 years ago to help my folks, as Dad had been diagnosed with Alzheimers and Parkinsons and Mum was not coping as she wasn't well herself.  My wonderful mum died in late June, after a long battle with various primary cancers (5 different ones over 33 years in fact), but succumbing to uterine carcinosarcoma (a nasty nasty type of cancer) which she had been fighting for 2 years...  She left an array of beautiful jumpers, cardigans and scarves which so remind me of her.  I couldn't bear to part with the really special ones, but they weren't really me and I didn't want to just stuff them in a suitcase and put them in the attic.

So- I took a big breath and took the scissors to them before I could back down (it felt sacrilegious really) and cut some into blocks, and felted others.  I have started piecing them back together and wanted to share my efforts to date - I have also decorated some of the patches with some of her doilies, napkins, lace, buttons and brooches.  It's like a celebration as I do this, and all the memories of her wearing these items come rushing back.

I'm not sure what I will do with this piece when I finish it- the choice as it stands at the moment is to either do more on this piece and make a throw, or leave it this size and make a tote bag.  Time will tell.....

















6 comments:

  1. We all have to start somewhere and somehow!
    I so love the beautiful piece you have created from your mother's wearables and laces etc. What better way to comemorate her life! The throw idea could become a perfect keepsake for this as bags often don't last the same distance.
    Wishing you all the very best for your blog and congratulations for the work to date!
    Have a wonderful day today Sunday,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzy- that's a good point.... and thanks for your lovely comments! I am finding doing the piece more emotionally challenging than I thought, but very therapeutic at the same time. Have a great day yourself,
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Mum Carey, I lost my Mum last year and my Dad this year so I know how you feel. It was so hard to throw anything away.
    I love how you've used the garments and doilies, they look fabulous. I too think maybe a throw or wall hanging would be nice, that way you get to pass it on to your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ro.... I can't imagine the pain of losing them in such quick succession- it must have been very hard for you. I hope Dad can hang on a bit longer, but with his Alzheimers and Parkinsons he really is getting frailer- the longer I can keep him at home (without going too barmy!- I found myself typing "Help I am going crazy" into Google last week) the better for him. I am leaning more towards a throw now from this piece- and if I get REALLY into this maybe even a bed quilt. Except I would have to make two of them for each of the girls....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carey, I am a fellow Bloomer and live near Fremantle, I love your blog and and your great sense of humour. This is such beautiful and meaningful art, and such a nurturing way to live your life with all it entails. Thanks for sharing it. I have a really close friend who is a quilter. She has just been diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and I was thinking it would be lovely for all her friends to make a square of fabric in honour of her and make a quilt from them. You have inspired me to make a move on it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a great idea! Thanks for your lovely words - I am really enjoying this project, and it is taking on a life of its own. I'd be very happy to contribute to your quilt if that is appropriate - having had cancer myself and having cared for Mum through her various ones I feel very close to this idea of yours... and it's such a good pressie for her coming up to winter!....

    ReplyDelete