Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday 24 July 2012

A week in paradise - Windy Harbour- Part 1...



I wanted to show you the meeting of form and function that happens in a place like Windy Harbour...


The next few posts will explore Windy and show you my favourite places and discoveries.


Windy (as we call it) is a place in a suspended time zone- a sort of time warp... 


If you are interested in finding out a little more, I have written about it over on my Wright Family Story Blog here, here and here...


As I have mentioned, the settlement is not on any power or phone grid, and every cottage is self sufficient with water and power.


It was created at the turn of last century by local forestry workers wanting a place to holiday with their families.  The cottages have been added to or rebuilt, but the essence is largely still there.  Hence, all the cottages are timber (with a few fibro ones that have sprung up in the past decades).  


Most people used the upcycling techniques we see being used a lot these days, but then it was out of necessity rather than trend.


Larry... my boy...




and I wandered around the settlement, camera in hand, recording some of these attempts by the locals to beautify their surroundings...


With some it was the use of paint, others a bit of humour, and others used items at hand that were plentiful...


You'll get the picture...


This first instalment looks at the locals' naming conventions...













Here's a hut from the newer side of town...  titled "One Foot"...




And last but certainly not least...




There are so many huts and so many names...


These are just a few...


Part 2 of my Windy Harbour posts is to follow, and in that one I want to show you my favourite cottage...  it's sort of like a slice of Scandinavia..



2 comments:

  1. Hi Carey

    A couple of the houses I had to decode the name. They remind me of private number plates, ( a few letters mean five words ). The house are nice and colourful, good idea if you have visitors comming to your house for the first time, they can't miss your house, all you would have to say is "It's the yellow house on Lock St"
    What is the background where Larry is? It looks like red dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason.... The background is the dirt road in front of our hut... All part of the colour of Windy Harbour...

    ReplyDelete